Will He be There?


Where two or three are gathered, will God really be there? I know, this sounds like a very silly question to ask. Of course He will be, right?

Recently, a friend shared her reservations about returning to in-person worship after spending the last year worshipping virtually. She has been faithful in wearing her mask and being as socially distant as she can. On Sunday, she gave herself a pep talk and headed to her car with the intention of going to church. She pulled into the parking lot and walked into the church. But, that is as far as she would go.

“With like 400 people who were singing with no masks on! That’s all I could focus on. And, that’s not what He deserves.”

She returned to her car and watched the service online from there.

In a moment of empathy, I offered the words of Matthew 18:20 to her and suggested the verse never mentions that those two or three must gather in a church building. Later, I read the verse again, along with the associated verses. It added context to the meaning. I wondered if I had misused the scripture.

First, I questioned: If God promises to be with us in groups of two or three, what happens if I am alone? I quickly moved on because my joy is complete in knowing "our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ” no matter what (1 John 1:3). He has my ear and I listen. I am in communion and relationship with Him, whether in public or private, with others or alone. 

Further study of Matthew 18 revealed the context of this scripture speaks to the idea of church discipline and group accountability. We are called to help those trapped by the temptations and failures we all face as sinners in a certain manner and in accordance with Old Testament law. While this may seem like a reactive approach, can we apply it in a proactive manner? Galatians 6:2 suggests we carry each other’s burdens. What better way to be accountable and share the burdens of others than to be in fellowship with God and one another at every opportunity.

Galatians 6:9-10 states, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.” And, therein lies the answer to the question of God’s presence in our midst. He is always there and will bless us, as long as we continue to keep the focus on Him and do what He instructs. This includes worshiping virtually or in-person during the pandemic.

My friend shared that this year has been hard and lonely, a year like no other. And, I don’t think anyone would disagree. But, she also made a very important observation. It does not matter where we are, but more importantly where our focus is. Where one or two or three or more are gathered in fellowship, God will be there. In the quietness of the morning as we enjoy our morning coffee, He is there. As we “zoom” with our small groups, God is in our midst. Whether we are navigating difficult times or celebrating the joy in our lives, God is with us.

PRAYER: May the focus of my worship be on You, who is ever-present in my life. Guide me and direct me as I navigate the challenges of life.  Let me find comfort and reassurance as I fellowship with You and others. I will give thanks to you. I will rejoice in you. I will praise your name. Amen.


Doug Hoy
SUSUMC Disaster Response Coordinator
drc@susumc.org

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Disaster Response Victories

Commentary: In the Master’s Hands

Sitting at the Crossroads of Life